Personal Storage Table (PST) is an Outlook data file that has size limitation which causes serious troubles to the user, i.e. from sluggish performance to corruption in email client. An oversized file is prone to corruption issues. It can slow Outlook client down and cause serious functioning and performance issues. Duplicate emails are the important reason behind excessive file size. Duplicate emails and other data occupy more space in Outlook PST file and it increase the file size. When Outlook data exceeds its file size limit (2 GB in ANSI PST format and 20 to 50 GB in Unicode PST format), Outlook email client works slower.
It causes serious performance issue and things go even worse. Corrupt mailbox may even cause loss of all your mailbox data. To overcome this problem, you have to remove duplicate items from your Outlook PST file to get your PST data manageable and to avoid corruption.
How Duplicate Items Created?
Duplicate items are likely to be anything, including contacts, emails, calendar, task, entry, and note along with attachment. A duplicate item requires actually the same size as the original mailbox item does. Here’s why duplicate items are stored in your mailbox –
- When you receive several copies of an email over and over again from a recipient. Companies, these days, send same press releases, emails and newsletters etc. for business promotions these days. It forms duplicate items in mailbox.
- Any interruption in synchronization process also causes duplicate items in data files. If the process goes wrong, duplicate items are likely to be occurred in mailbox.
- Be sure to disable the “Leave Messages on the Server” option to avoid duplicate entries.
- Be sure that the Outlook rules configuration is executed well, or you may have duplicate items in your mailbox. Be sure to apply “Move a Copy to” rule only once to a specific email message.
- Sometimes PST merging also leads to duplication if it is not performed well.
Here’s How to Remove Duplicate PST files manually
When it comes to remove Outlook duplicate files, the manual operation is safe and quick. All you need to go through the following steps to remove duplicates –
- Open MS Outlook client on your PC. Now you can choose folder to remove duplicate items
- Go through “Change View” option on View tab
- Replace ‘folder view’ into ‘table type view’. (On Manage Views… you can see the view mode, i.e. either table view or folder view).
- Check view type on “Manage All Views” window. This way, you have to use these combinations of fields and views –
- Contacts and phone list
- Calendar and appointments
- Inbox and messages
- Notes and notes list
- Journal and entry list
- Right click column heading, click ‘Field Chooser’ in options
- Choose the field from ‘Field Chooser’
- Drag down to table heading from Modified field
- Be sure that duplicate items you have to remove have different date from the original items. Click modified heading to sort down the items.
Now choose the items you have to remove. Then click “Delete” button to remove the items permanently and save up some space.
And another way to Remove Outlook Duplicate Emails by Using Third Party Application.
If you are still not able to use manually process, i would recommend user to use a third party application. For using this application, there no need of any technical skill. This Outlook Duplicate Remover tool, will remove your emails in just few clicks. Just download the Free Trial version to access this application.