When mail has become the important medium of communication for professionals, the population of Outlook users is growing in each passing day. Outlook is the most popular and widely-used email client as it manages your emails very effectively. All the Outlook files are stored in Personal Storage Table (PST) file, such as emails, contacts, schedules etc.
But the only problem is that PST file has the storage limit of 2GB. Oversized PST files may lead to different errors. The size of PST files increases day by day. Outlook also gets slower and it needs more resources to finish the tasks. Sometimes, it shows an error “Couldn’t start MS Office Outlook. Couldn’t open Outlook Window” when opening MS Outlook application. It may show error either because of oversized or corrupt PST file.
Microsoft provides an Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe) to deal with these errors. It is your first aid and an inbuilt repair tool. It comes with Outlook for free to repair your corrupt PST file. Initially, it attempts to scan the corrupt PST file that is stored in the hard drive locally to verify its file structure.
How to Use Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe)?
The tool also restores the file structure and rebuilds the header of the file if the structure is not intact. If you have 32-bit Windows, you can find scanpst.exe in Program Files. If you have 64-bit Windows, it is stored in Program Files (x86). Once the file is found, follow these steps to use this tool –
- Before opening this Inbox Repair Tool, make sure the MS Outlook is Closed.
- According to the Outlook and Windows version, look for the tool in default location and run scanpst.exe. You can also use Windows Search option if you cannot find the file at the default location.
- Enter the PST file name that you want to repair or choose the file by Clicking “Browse” which lists all the files to be repaired.
- To change the default process of creating new log file in scan process, to overwrite the existing file, or to create no log file, click on “Options”.
- When you click “Start”, the tool will analyze the files and show the result.
- If it shows error during the scan process, choose “Repair” and start the process. You can also change location and name of backup file which is created in this step.
- Open Outlook application which consists of PST file that is repaired.
- In Folder tab, go to Folder list view.
The “Recovered Personal Folder” in Folder pane consists of default mails. On the other side, the “Lost & Found Folder” consists of recovered mailbox files. In your profile, you need to create new PST file in the “Lost & Found Folder”.
What to Do If Inbox Repair Tool Doesn’t Work?
If Inbox Repair Tool doesn’t work at all, you can use the professional Outlook PST Repair tool. It is a complete repair solution that can restore all the damaged PST data without harming its original formatting. It can perform scanning and proper repair to access all the emails, contacts, attachments, calendars, journals, and responsibilities. You can easily view the repaired items after restoring PST file.
We recommend our user to use Free trial version, Free version will help you to take a decision, is it Good for you or Not. Free Trial Version will show you the Preview of recovered data before saving. Download Now.