Many a time I have already posted on my blog to Convert emails from one format to another by manual method. There is no doubt it required some technical skills to perform such operation, that’s way I am offering a alternative option also to do such tasks with the help of third party applications which is having a creditability in the market.
Now I am explaining the step by step guide to Convert or Export Exchange EDB Mailbox to Outook PST File :-
Sometimes users needs to convert edb file to pst file format to access these emails on MS Outlook Platform. MS Outlook does not understand the edb format, to Open these edb emails to MS Outlook you need to convert edb file to pst file. You cannot import the EDB files to Outlook directly as it may harm your files or you may lose you data.
Here is an free utility, called ExMerge.exe, provided by Microsoft to handle errors and issues which take place in MS Exchange Server database. This application is specially design to repair corrupt EDB file of MS Exchange server and allow you to save them into MS Outlook PST format.
Benefits of ExMerge utility are:
- It can be used for single mailbox, multiple (selected) or all the mailboxes which are stored in the Exchange Server.
- It can be used for exporting Exchange server data to pst file.
- This tool prevent duclicacy of messages from exporting the same contents of a mailbox twice to the same PST file.
- It can be used as a “brick-level backup” solution that backs up a single mailbox instead of an entire database.
How to install ExMerge utility on your system?
To install ExMerge utility on your system, you must assure your system have MS Exchange Server installed along with the admin tools of Exchange server.
First download the ExMerge.exe from the Internet. Click on ExMerge icon shown below to go to the download page:
On the download page, click on the Download button to start downloading the exe. Once the exe is downloaded successfully, install it by running it as administrator and then configure it. Once it is configured on your system, log in to your Exchange Server account with Exchange Administrator rights.
Things you need to know before using ExMerge utility:
- Make sure you must have full permissions on all the selected mailboxes to be merged.
- Besides this, make sure that the computer in which you are going to run ExMerge.exe, has Microsoft Outlook Client and Microsoft Exchange Administrator programs installed. As Microsoft does not support installing for Exchange Server components and Outlook on the same computer, you should not install Outlook on the Exchange Server.
- If you are using Exchange Server 2003, being an Exchange administrator, you would have no rights to open the mailboxes. To overcome this issue, go to the Security tab of the mounted mailbox store in the recovery storage group. You will find the Exchange Administrators Group with explicit deny rights for “send as” and “receive as”. Overwrite it to give them full access and inherit the rights down to each mailbox itself.
Once the ExMerge utility is installed and configured, you are ready to run it. Start ExMerge, log on to your Exchange server and follow the steps shown below:
- In the Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Merge Wizard, select the procedure you would like to perform.
Click on Extract or Import (Two Step Procedure) and click on Next to continue.
- Now select the step you would like to perform.
Click on Step 1: Extract data from an Exchange Server Mailbox and click on Next to continue.
- In the Data Selection Criteria dialog box, click on Import Procedure tab.
Click on Archive data to target store and click on OK to continue.
- In the same dialog box, click on Message Details tab.
Enter the required things asked there and click on OK to continue.
- Now it is the time for Mailbox Selection. All the mailboxes which are available on the selected server, will be listed here.
Select the mailboxes and click on Next to continue.
- Select a folder where you want to save the Personal Folder (.PST) files.
Click on Change Folder button to select a location. Click on Next to start the process.
- The Process Status will be shown in this window.
Once the operation is completed successfully, click on Finish button to finish the process.
If you are using MS Exchange Server 2007, you cannot run ExMerge utility directly on the Exchange Server machine which can easily be done in the earlier versions. Besides this, it may take enough time to be completed and you would require performing many steps.
If you are unable to perform such operation and face some difficulty, I would genuinely recommend you to download the Free trial version of this application. User can perform all operation in Free version rather than to save data. Good thing is that you can see your recovered data in Free version, If you are completely sure your mailbox is recover then go for a full version license.